Friday, November 12, 2010

ROI ....

Everything has a return…
Especially after specializing in finance, the most common way of measuring anything is ROI. I must say I even started ROI on traveling, eating, sleeping etc… return on sleeping for 4 hours vs. 14 hours, my opportunity cost attached to it etc.
Every this is an investment; in my view spending time on anything has a cost attached to it. Spend time in class gives returns in long term basis.   
EXAMPLE: My father paid up close to INR 1million for my higher education. To this example there is an INR 1.5million opportunity cost attached to it.
If I would decide to work instead of going for higher studies
 At 3lacs p.a for 2 years
·         300,000 x 1 =300,000
·         330,000 x 1= 330,000(10% increase in salary)
·         Investment of 1/4th of the above amount at 10% p.a as fixed deposit. = 60,000(approx)
·         Investment of another 1/4th of amount in mutual funds. 15% return p.a = 75,000(approx)
Therefore 630,000+60,000+75,000=765,000 + work experience valued at 1,000,000
Opportunity cost =INR 1.76million
Worth a thought…. Decision making must be done considering a Decision making tree and cost benifit analysis(CBA). Google can help you better with this; I can’t invest more time in it…. Too low ROI …lol…  

1 comment:

  1. hahaha well said. It's quite sad to see the state of the value that higher education has today.
    I'm sure you'll get a high ROI on this blog...keep blogging :)

    ReplyDelete